Within a month of publication, Make Your Own Waves
was named the NASDAQ Book of the Month and also was the #1 new release in surfing books on Amazon.com.
Yes, you read that correctly…accolades came from both the business and the surfing world. Here's why.
Like the ocean, the marketplace constantly changes and today's cresting reward becomes tomorrow's crashing risk. Louis Patler, one of the foremost authorities on innovation, explores why 8 out of 10 business ventures fail and offers lessons learned from elite athletes that apply to business.
Before you venture out, take some advice from unlikely experts: Big Wave surfers who ride waves the size of a five-story office building using only a 9 foot piece of styrofoam. Like successful entrepreneurs, they must rely on preparation, planning, patience and passion–and they relish a challenge. So it's no surprise that countless surfers have pioneered products, launched thriving businesses and help lead companies ranging from GoPro Cameras, O'Neill, Reef and Quicksilver to IBM, Pepsi and Google.
Packed with stories of innovators, entrepreneurs, and legends, Make Your Own Waves
reveals 10 Surfer's Rules that will guide entrepreneurs and innovators including:
– Learn to swim–the basics set the stage for everything
– Get wet–you can't succeed if you stick to the shore
– Always look "outside"–watch for what's coming or you may miss a better opportunity
– Commit, charge, shred–you have to go all out to be all in
– Never turn your back on the ocean–always stay in touch with the marketplace and the customer
– Stay stoked–desire drives success
Even the best surfers fall, but they learn from their wipeouts and paddle back out to once again push the edge, knowing that with big waves come big opportunities.